COURSE GOALS & EXPECTATIONS
Course Expectations: This is the first high-school Social Studies course and it is meant to be rigorous with the goal of giving the student the tools to be successful in high school and college or career path. The student is expected to have the maturity, intrinsic motivation and study skills to be successful in the course. Students will be required to complete all assigned readings, homework on time and be prepared for class. Students should set aside two to four hours a week for assignments and studying.
Course Goals: To gain a working knowledge of our physical environment and its impact on our
history and culture, thus allowing us to better understand the nature of the
world and the events that take place in it.
Course Objectives: Demonstrate a basic knowledge of location, land-forms and resources of
Develop skills in the use of maps, globes and other graphic tools to acquire and
process geographic information.
Relate how geography has affected the economic, social and cultural development
of global regions.
Analyze problems that challenge people from various cultural regions.
Teacher Recommendation: Students who show high academic achievement will be recommended to challenge themselves in a Pre-Ap or AP course. Students must maintain an 85% class average in order to be recommended for Pre-Ap or AP.
VIRTUAL CLASSROOM RULES & PROCEDURES
- All virtual classroom rules and procedures will mirror in-person classroom rules and procedures when possible.
- No cell phone use
- No ear buds in ears
- No wearing hoodies
- Be respectful to others/No profanity
- Follow PAISD dress code for virtual classroom
- Logon to Zoom 5 minutes prior to class start time
- Once class starts and you are not logged on, you are tardy
- During class discussion raise your hand using the raise your hand icon
- When posting to discussion boards be respectful of other people's ideas
- Listen attentively during instruction using SLANT
- Turn work into Schoology.
- Reminder to stay on task
- Conference w/student
- Virtual removal from class
- Conference w/parent
- Referral to counselor
- Referral to Assistant Principal
IN-PERSON CLASSROOM RULES & PROCEDURES
- Treat everyone with respect/No profanity
- Wear mask appropriately/Social Distance
- No Electronic Devices $15
- Keep your hands to yourself
- Follow all class, campus, & district policies
Refer to CIS
Refer to counselor
Refer to AP
Procedures are for minor offenses/Maj refer to AP
- Enter classroom quietly, in dress code w/ student ID
- Wear mask appropriately & social distance
- When door is closed you are late! Get a tardy pass.
- Work on warm up quietly
- Listen attentively during instruction: SLANT/no sleeping in class
- Raise your hand to ask a question
- Transitions from one activity to the next are quiet
- Approach teacher’s desk only with permission
- Only leave your seat with teacher’s permission
- All work including makeup work is in Schoology
- Follow all verbal, and non-verbal directives for listening, transition, and discussion.
- Tests/Quizzes are silent. Talking will result in test taken and a zero recorded when finished read about a geography related subject.
- Teacher dismisses the class, not the bell!
- End of class everyone cleans up, no trash on floor or desks
PAISD VIRTUAL DRESS CODE
WORLD GEOGRAPHY SYLLABUS